Jukseoru Pavilion

Jukseoru Pavilion

Jukseoru Pavilion

Overview

  • Address (Seongnae-dong) 37, Jukseoru-gil, Samcheok-si, Gangwon-do
  • management Tourism Policy Department at Samcheok City Hall
  • Tel 033-570-3224/033-570-3670
  • time Hours: 09:00 - 18:00 (Summer: Mar-Oct) 09:00 - 17:00 (Winter: Nov-Feb)

OverviewAlthough the founder and year of construction remain unknown, looking from Dongangeosajip (Anthology of Poetry and Prose by Lee Seung-hyu, a renowned scholar during the Goryeo Dynasty Period) which states that Lee Seung-hyu sat in the pavilion with his steward Jin Ja-hoo and wrote poems in the 7th year of King Wonjong’s reign (1266), Jukseoru Pavilion is believed to have been established at least before 1266. A governor named Kim Hyo-son reconstructed the structure in the 3rd year of King Taejong’s reign (1403). Since then, Jukseoru has been repaired and expanded dozens of times The pavilion was named Jukseoru because there were bamboo groves to the east of the pavilion and Jukjangsa Temple inside the bamboo groves. Some say that it probably got its name from a legend that says ...

Detailed Information

Overview

Although the founder and year of construction remain unknown, looking from Dongangeosajip (Anthology of Poetry and Prose by Lee Seung-hyu, a renowned scholar during the Goryeo Dynasty Period) which states that Lee Seung-hyu sat in the pavilion with his steward Jin Ja-hoo and wrote poems in the 7th year of King Wonjong’s reign (1266), Jukseoru Pavilion is believed to have been established at least before 1266. A governor named Kim Hyo-son reconstructed the structure in the 3rd year of King Taejong’s reign (1403). Since then, Jukseoru has been repaired and expanded dozens of times The pavilion was named Jukseoru because there were bamboo groves to the east of the pavilion and Jukjangsa Temple inside the bamboo groves. Some say that it probably got its name from a legend that says a famous gisaeng (female performer) called Jukjukseonnyeo had a house to the east of the pavilion. The signs "Jukseoru" and "Gwandong 1-ru" inscribed in Chinese hanging on the front rafter of the pavilion were written by Governor Lee Seong-jo in the 41st year of King Sukjong’s reign. The sign "Jeilgyejeong" hanging inside the pavilion was written by Governor Heo Mok in the 3rd year of King Hyeonjong’s reign (1662), and "Haeseonyuhijiso" was written by Governor Lee Gyu-hyeon in the 3rd year of King Heonjong’s reign (1837). The lower floor of Jukseoru consists of 17 columns, 9 of which were erected on natural stones and the remaining 8 columns on stone plinths. The structure has 20 columns and hipped-and-gable roof on the upper floor. Currently, the pavilion has a total of 26 signboards inscribed with poems, including "Jukseorugi" written by Governor Heo Mok, "Jukseoru Jungsugi" written by Dangseong Hong Baek-ryeon, "Haeseon-yuhi-jiso", "Jukseoruchaun", a sign of Yulgok Yi I’s poem written by Iljun Kim Chung-hyeon and King Jeongjo’s “Eohjaesi (King’s Poem)”.

Tour Information

  • Fare: Free
  • Hours: 09:00 - 18:00 (Summer: Mar-Oct) 09:00 - 17:00 (Winter: Nov-Feb)

Things to Know Before You Come

  • Smoking, drinking alcohol and bringing food is prohibited.
  • You must not lean against the railing of the pavilion (There is a cliff below)
  • Sleeping, singing, dancing and recreational activities are prohibited.
  • Please refrain from any behavior that would make others feel uncomfortable or unsafe.

Tour Inquiries

Nearby Attractions

Expo Town (Cave Mystery Hall, Cave Exploration Hall, Solar Energy Hall, Samcheok Municipal Museum), Cheokjudonghaebi Monument (Mt. Yukyangsan Park), Samcheok Port (Jeongna Port), Saecheonnyeon Coastal Road, Isabu Lion Park

Transportation

  • Local Bus: Samcheok Terminal → Get off at Jukseoru Pavilion (Bus No.: 14, 14-1, 31, 31-2, 10 min)
  • 15-min walk from Samcheok Terminal